Friday, February 03, 2006

It's Spreading Like a Virus

With the "All things Goldberg" part now fully covered, I guess I'm representing "and beyond!".



I enjoyed Hostel too. Despite some of the awful plotting, it flowed nicely, was admirably trashy, and was very generous to its audience, providing plenty of tits and ass and limbs.

Something that bugged me about Hostel - and bugs me about most new horror movies - is the lack of depth or substance. They tend to be too content to just offer a cheap thrill ride, and are often too self-conscious and too "movie-movie" for their own good. The cameo of Takashi Miike (picture above, with Eli Roth) only served to emphasize this for me. Miike's films are genuinely strange, perverted, idiosyncratic and challenging. He is one of the few real auteurs working in film today. Eli Roth remains a wannabee. Above all else, Hostel wants to be a Miike film. But it is a pale imitation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam Goldberg said...

Yeah, but Takashi Miike has directed some 67 films, and this is Eli Roth's 2nd.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Roth's next film will be "Baywatch: The Movie".

I kid ye not.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home